Thursday, April 22, 2010

Daughters Know Best

Ever since 1967 when the Sierra Club published On The Loose by Jerry and Renny Russell about growing up in the wilderness areas of California and Utah, I have wanted to visit Patagonia -- what I considered in those days to be the ultimate wilderness. But time passed and while I had a chance to explore many wild spots in Colorado, Montana and Wyoming, Patagonia was always too far, too remote, or took too much time.

Then last fall my daughter, a Latin America studies major, called (Skyped) from her term abroad in Santiago, Chile and said someone from the family needed to visit. I heard my husband and myself uttering the same excuses, too far, too remote, not enough time and too costly. I also shuddered privately at the thought that we might be too old. She persisted and finally we agreed that I would go.

My daughter is too young, even at 20, to fully understand the impact of the trip on me. We climbed to the base of the Torres in Torres del Paine, we rode bicycles along a glacial fjord, we tasted centuries old ice from a glacier, we hiked among herds of wild horses and squawking llama-like guanaco, and almost touched a Condor flying low over our heads. I fell in love with a place that had always been in my imagination and it is my daughter I thank for reminding me of my dream.

Adventure is not in the guidebook and Beauty is not on the map. Seek and ye shall find." -- from On the Loose.